Steel beam size

I am trying to calculate the size of a steel beam.
I am removing 2.3 metres of a brick supporting wall, that is currently carrying two sets of 2.5 metre long joists.
I hope this picture explains:-
http://www.crewinblack.co.uk/celica/plan.JPG
I.E. The wall in question is an internal wall, there is one set of joists running from the outside wall on one side of the house onto this internal wall, likewise there is another set of joists running from the opposite outside wall onto the same internal wall. The joists are only carrying the floor of bedrooms, and a stud wall (almost directly above the wall in question). There is no weight from the roof being transmitted down through the stud wall.
I want to use a 9 inch by 4 inch steel beam (for asthetic reasons), sitting underneath the joists mentioned above.
I need to calculate if a 9x4 is strong enough, and what "weight" or "rating" steel beam I need to order.
Can anybody offer me any advice ?
Thanks,
Paul.

I think you better have a good solicitor in case anybody gets crushed in your house after you've done your mod. In other words, don't be a fool, and shift the legal burden to a professional (architect maybe?)
Paul Whitmore wrote:

stranger on the internet, shouldn't you ask a structural engineer?
Andy
I've discussed such matters with the local building regs officer and he's always been very helpful and looked up in the book what the dimensions should be.
Rob Graham
Ask your local council building inspector. A job like this has to be approvedby them anyway. You may also have to get a certificate from a structural engineer; but you would need to produce proof of a job properly done if you tried to sell, anyway.
cpollock wrote:

Second that. We sent in our building regs application and when the Inspector came round he was most helpful suggesting the sizes and weights, plates and bolts. One thing though we opted for u-columns and u-beams so had to dig an exploratory hole for the inspector to confirm that the existing foundations were up to the job.