Steam, no idea

I'm a sinlge bloke and want to buy a carpet cleaner, I've seen the vax type things and they seem o.k. But how do the steam cleaners work they don't have a suction on them? Do you steam the carpet, wait for it to dry then vac up or what?
"crashbang1" wrote:

Most carpet cleaners use hot water and detergent which is sprayed onto the carpet, brushed in, then vacuumed out. See http://www.ncca.co.uk/faq.htm (scroll down to Do you use steam?) I use a reconditioned Bissell carpet cleaner which is excellent. See https://www.bissell-secure.co.uk/site/products.php