Staining Spindles

Just fitted a new handrail and spindles etc. want to stain it Oak colour. I got some colron wood dye which is ok but on any area that was filled with wood filler it either goes really dark or really light. the wood filler says it can be stained etc. anybody know an eay way to get it all to match. also can this stuff be thined with white spirit to chaneg the colour, i bought 4 differetn colours and none are quite right (according to the wife) Mark

When I was messing with Colron spirit based stuff years ago I found it helpful to paint the wood with very dilute shellac first. This fills the wood pores and stops the stain getting too active. You then go over the bits which are faint with more stain several times. Might work on filler, though wood glue is nearly stain proof.
rusty