Square off Newel Post

Hello, I have a newel post stump that needs squaring off in order to attach a replacement top.

Does anybody know the best way to do this? I have tried hacking bits off with a chisel and sanding, I was thinking about planing but it's across the grain in Mahogany.

many thanks

Reply to
Oddjob

Use a square to mark a line round all four sides. Clamp or screw (fill the holes after) a wood batten to two opposite sides exactly touching the lines. The battens should extend 6" ish either side.

Buy a new 'hardpoint' cross cut saw and use the battens as a sort of built in mitre box.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the post has been cut too low down, so I can only get around two sides and sawing it would be tricky. Think I will have to build it up with a block of wood first....

Reply to
Oddjob

Shaped charge?

Reply to