Spraying fences that have concrete posts and base panels.

Page 1 of 2

Anyone used a fence sprayer on a fence that has concrete posts and concrete base panels? If so, how do you keep the preserver off the posts and panels?
I have a fair sized garden and around 30 panels to paint. I started yesterday with a brush and it is clear that it is going to take me for ever to get around the entire garden! On the other hand, having to 'mask off' the posts and base panels with newspaper and masking tape might take just as long!
Any ideas/suggestions?
Kev
writes

suit the height of the post with any cutouts required to get a tight fit and fix a pivoting batten and/or foot to it to prop it against the fence. Cut 2, one for each end of the panel you are working on, then move them as you work. Do the same for the gravel board but it you're a messy sprayer and expect some run-off then they might be better masked and taped, use cling film for clinginess.
You may get a little overspray but be careful and it should be slight, nothing really in the greater scheme of things.
--
fred
fred wrote:

Good idea. I've just carried on a bit with the brush and progress is painfully slow. The fence panels have thick vertical planks that are very rough hewn and they require constant brushing-in to get the preserver into the rough grain.
Only snag is that I have two 5 litre tubs of red cedar that are not sprayable! I'll use them for the garden sheds and get sprayable for the rest of the fence panels.
Kev
writes

manufacturer's say so)? It might be worthwhile thinning a small amount to try spraying it. It often doesn't take much in the way of added thinners to get it sprayable.
--
fred
fred wrote:

That's an idea - although it's B&Q's own brand and has a somewhat jelly-like consistency. I'm pleased with the results with the brush though.
Kev
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:29:59 +0100, Ret. wrote:

======================================== You could 'cut in' at the sides (say a 6" border) with your brush and spray the rest of the panels.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Cicero wrote:

Yes - that was my original thought but, not having used a fence sprayer before, I wasn't sure how 'accurate' you could be with the spray!
Kev
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:20:22 +0100, Ret. wrote:

========================================= Quite accurate, provided that there's not too much wind to blow the spray off course. It's worth a bit of experiment to save several hours of hard labour!
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
On 09/08/09 09:55, Ret. wrote:

Is it possible to slide the panels out and spray them somewhere? Or at least most of them? You would then be able to spray them both sides. You may loose some climbers and such, but they will grow back up.
Ed
Ed wrote:

Yes, I did think of this - although my neighbours have screwed/nailed trellis to the other side of at least some panels. Not so sure that I feel like doubling my expenditure in order to make my neighbour's fences look attractive on their side!
Kev
Have you ever seen this product !! its speeds the job up by 60% The product has been made to last a life time
http://www.fenceprotector.co.uk/ Fence Protector has been designed to speed up and take the hassle out of the process of fence panel painting, spraying and preserving. Anyone who has ever struggled to remove panels prior to painting or has spent hours masking concrete posts to avoid accidental splashes will appreciate Fence Protectors usefulness. Fence Protector is produced in a durable flexible UPVC which will fit a variety of concrete post sizes. It is convenient, reusable but above all is time and labour saving.
On 08/06/2015 16:52, mark@fenceprot**** wrote:

It's polite to mark adverts as such. Still, at least you haven't tried to pretend this is a recommendation from a disinterested user...
Andy
Once upon a time on usenet Vir Campestris wrote:

Heck Andy! It seems there's only you and I reading this group anyway...
Shame when the only traffic in months has been an advert and replies to it. :-/
--
Shaun.

On 09/06/2015 01:01, ~misfit~ wrote:

There's more DIY stuff over at uk.d-i-y - but of course there's a lot of other stuff too.
Andy
Once upon a time on usenet Vir Campestris wrote:

Ok, thanks Andy. I might have a look. I'm not in the UK though...
Cheers,
--
Shaun.

On 10/06/2015 01:15, ~misfit~ wrote:

Then why are you looking at free.UK.diy.home? ^^
Andy
Once upon a time on usenet Vir Campestris wrote:

Because there isn't a New Zealand DIY group and I was born in England? I subscribed to see how much was relevant but there have been no posts in months. I think that what with us both using ~220v / 50Hz mains and speaking the same version of English it's a better choice than some yank group.
--
Shaun.

On 13/06/2015 12:34, ~misfit~ wrote:

The if you can put up with the OT posts look at UK.d-i-y. There are some people there who know their stuff.
Andy
Once upon a time on usenet Vir Campestris wrote:

Thanks Andy, I might have a look then.
--
Shaun.

Once upon a time on usenet ~misfit~ wrote:

The usenet service that I use don't carry uk.diy. :-/
--
Shaun.