splitting TV signal around the house

I've got an cable connected to aerial on roof. When I plug my TV into it, the picture is excellent, even channel FIVE. I then plug the aerial into a splitter box (8 way home distribution box LABGEAR HDU681) UHF port and then plug my TV into it, the picture is very poor. Any ideas?
FYG the UHF input has line power of 12v, which I think for masthead amp, which i don't have.
Is this the wrong way to share tv to all rooms?
any ideas.
Thanks

Have you got any equipment connected to the up-link/down-link sockets? If not, it won't work unless you connect a short patch-lead between these sockets.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Thanks for your help
Noticed a patch cable in box, so will give that a go! Cheers
Do I need to install masthead amp, even though picture quality is ok? http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 31868&tsC667&idf320#
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

OK, connected the fly patch cable to down link and uplink, and now I have some picture, but noisy, and channel 5 is now non existent. any ideas?
thanks
On 10 Dec 2006 04:47:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It may be a silly question but you are powering the thing? The problems you describe sound like the power is not getting into the box.
http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/products/Labgear_HDU681_wiring.pdf
EricP wrote:

Cheers Eric, that wiring diagram is great, couldn't find any info on this box.
I'm powering the device by main supply. When the box is off, no picture, when device on some picture, but very noisy.

ok took the f connector off the ariel feed and plugged the coax core directly into the UHF socket, and now have excellent BBC, BBC 2, ITV & Four picture, channel 5 is ok, was better before with direct link. when i put the coax earth to the outside of the uhf socket, the picture goes crap ! why could the earth cause this?
managed to resolve this by using an adjustable attenuator, to reduce the signal strength