Sound proofing a floor

Hi,
We are about to move into a house (around 300 years old) where one bedroom overhangs the lounge of the house next door by about 1 1/2 metres.
Previously, there was nothing in the roof space between the plasterboard ceiling and (rotten) floorboards.
I had 2 main concerns: fire resistance and sound proofing.
After speaking to an architect, I placed a double layer of plasterboard in the gap and then filled and sealed this with between 5ml and 15ml of plaster.
Now, this has done a reasonable job of cutting out the worst of the noise and I am a lot more confident a fire would not now simply come straight through.
However, there is still sound coming through and I wonder if there is realistically anything worth doing in the maybe 2" gap I have left to play with? (I am next going to replace the floorboards and we will be carpeting the room).
Thanks.
Mark Stephens

Just a thought. Could you not use something on the lines of what they put in speaker cabinets ..... ?
--
the_constructor

Like high density foam?
"Mark Stephens" wrote:

If you haven't done so already it would be worth googling for soundproofing and acoustic insulation.
Mark Stephens wrote:

The fibrous insulation that you use under laminate flooring might work. It's about 1 cm thick and fairly dense and the packs we used said they could deaden sound. Or this stuff http://tinyurl.com/y4m4er
--
Malc

"AFB Mr Tracey."