Sooty Fireplace

Good Evening All, I am about to render the sooty back of a 200 year old fireplace I have just opened up. Any recommendation for removing about 1/4" of soot easily. I have wired brushed with a angle grinder, scraper but still has a coating on the bricks, is there a chemical anyone can recommend. Best regards Ben

Reply to
Ben

Don't. The soot will be impregnated into the brick. Grind the bulk off then cover with a sheet of expanded mesh (sold in B&Q). This need to be fixed firmly. When I did this recently, I drilled numerous holes at about 5 or 6 inch spacing. Pop red wall plug in each. Offer up the mesh and knock a clout nail into the wall plugs. Render.

mark

Reply to
Mark

When I needed a plasterer friend to plaster over where a chimney breast had been removed, he told me to go out and get some cow dung in a bucket, mix it with water, and paint it on the soot to neutralise it. Sorry, I can't tell you if it works because I didn't have the stomach to do it, (but I have no reason to doubt his word), so I painted it with a brick moisture sealant, which he wasn't very pleased with as it took several thin coats of plaster to do the job, and he had to go home whilst each coat went off. :-)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

(snip)

Many thanks Mark and Harry for advice much appreciated. Regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben