Some advice please.

Hi All, My neighbour has just asked me if a ceiling fan needs earthling. In the ceiling in his house he has two neutral wires and a live into his old light. Will he need to pick up an earth from some were in the loft. It does not say in the instructions that it has to be earthed but it is metal.
T.I.A
Micky
Sandy Savage wrote:

IIUC, if it has exposed metal and
if it doesn't have a "double-insuled" symbol,
http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/Electrics/FitPlug/fitplug.htm
and if it is not very low voltage eg has a transformer with output <50v,
then it *should* have an earth terminal
and thus should be earthed.
If it doesn't have an earth terminal, it probably has a double insulated symbol somewhere - if only on the box it came in.
In case of doubt, ask the retailer/manufacturer.
--
Sue

This depends on the type of fan and to some extent where it is installed. Extractor fans in bathrooms are typically what they call double insulated and should never have an earth connected. The fans that you may install into a conservatory, one typically with external blades should normally be earthed. If it is metal and it has a earthing lug then you should in this case.
Can you confirm the type of fan and the CLASS of isolation?
Regards G

light.