Solar Glass for Conservatory roof

My other half is dead set against using Polycarbonate on our proposed conservatory on the basis that it looks 'nasty'. Its planned to be about 3 x 3.6m with a brick wall on one side, we face north west but more west than north if that makes sense. I am worried that glass will get too hot in the summer and may not insuulate as well in the winter.
Does anyone have any experience of the various solar/sun/tinted glasses available or indeed do I have any need to worry in the first place about extreames of hot and cold.
Kevin

3
than
insuulate
We have a polycarbonate roof on our conservatory and it looks OK However the conservatory did tend to get too hot in the summer so we fitted he reflecting strips along each cavity with the result that the dazzling effect has been cut down and the temperature is now reasonable. Also its warmer in the winter. Supplier www.polycool.co.uk It is an excellent product and can be fitted by yourself. I am surprised that the manufacturers of Polycarbonate do not supply their product with this extra fitted Blair