Slow dripping crack in my Cistern - how to fix

Hi after decorating my bath room and disconnecting the Cistern for a couple of day. I have now found it has developed a very slow water leak from a hair line crack, the crack looks to be very old and I suspect the leak had started due to the Cistern being dry of water for a couple of days!
My question is will the leak stop after a few days now it wet again or should I get some thought of mastic leak fixer?
thanks in advance,
Jon
I fixed mine by leaving it off to dry out for a few days, the ground a 'V' groove in the crack from the inside, then gunned some silicon sealant in.
This has held for a few years now.
--
regards
dave batter

Bite the bullet and replace it, unless is some sort of coloured matching one.
A new close coupled WC is only around 70 from the diy sheds - maybe slightly cheaper from a decent plumbers merchant.
Richard www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk

Yes it's blue along with the sink & bath. So a white Cistern in the room will look odd!
Jon

couple
hair
I think it unlikely that the crack will "heal" on its own. Drain cistern and dry out thoroughly and apply some silicon on the inside. If the crack starts from an entry hole in the cistern : i.e. flush pipe, overflow etc. then release the joint and apply silicon under & around sealing washer.

I was sold a fibreglass kit by the local plum shop, is silicon a better option?
Jon

inside.
I have never tried fibreglass matting on a cistern but on several occasions been successful with silicon (put plenty on).
I think fibreglass would probably be ok provided the crack does not disappear under a washer.
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

Very nice, would it have been quicker to put in a new one?
--
zaax

I would have put a new one on, but it's blue along with the sink & bath which is a really nice big metal one which we like. The local plum shop only had white ones!
The fibreglass is working at the moment, but time will tell!
Jon