Skylight/ access

I am fed up climbing up the outside of my house to do roof repairs (Its a very big, very old roof). I am going to cut an access panel in the flat roof part so that I can get access from the loft space.

Does any one have any experience of installing a skylight in a flat roof ? I have looked at some commercial options (e.g. Velux) but they are either very expensive or do not come small enough for my needs. The space I have to play with between roof trusses and bracing limits the access to 370mm by 650mm which is tight but big enough for me.

Obvious problems are getting an angle to run off water, the design of the removeable top and making it sturdy enough for a svelte 15 stoner like myself to haul through.

Any thoughts or useful sites to visit would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gil

Reply to
Gil

Cut out a section of the roof between the beams, then fix in place some battens that will create a good upstand above the outside of the roof. Felt over and seal all of this new build. Now build a hatch with hinges to fit snuggly over the top of it, and felt and seal all of that as well. TahDah !!! One hatch for the use of, Sir.

Something like floor boards or flooring grade chip-board will be enough to make a strong lip around the opening you make.

Reply to
BigWallop

Velux roof lights are not designed for flat roofs. The only way to fit a velux roof light in a flat roof is to pitch up a frame to support the velux at a angle slope. Do as Big Wallop states, but in stead of make the lid hinged, make the lid fit over the opening with sliding bolts into the frame. this will stop intruders getting in and the lid blowing of in the wind. The only problem with cutting holes in flat roofs is making them watertight on the corners..

Reply to
keith_765