Single lever mixers and temp indicators

Just got what looked to be a nice contemporary single lever basin mixer off the internet, and it has for want of a better description, a long joy-stick control lever for the flow/temp.
It's going back for other reasons, but one thing I wasn't keen on is there are no indications whatsoever for which way to move it to get hot/cold. I'd have thought water regs would require this (risk of scalding etc. - though my water is never set hot enough to scald).
Anyone any idea?
TIA Midge.

It doesn't require any markings, so you can't use that excuse for a return unfortunately. No point asking now anyway if you returned it.
Thanks John - as I said in the original posting, it was being returned for other reasons - namely two defects in the chrome plating. The lack of indicators is what is making me think I'll take my money back rather than a replacement as it will be in the downstairs cloakroom loo where visitors will use it.
Midge.