Silicone and Joiners

Can I just say that as a decorator (among other things), I have wasted so much time trying to get silicone off wood and walls before I can paint them. The other day I started to undercoat some dado rail hoping it would be quick as I was on a bit of a tight schedule only to find that the ..... ...... who did the tiling and the dado had filled the gaps with silicone and smeared it all aver the dado and the wall edges. Could all of you joiners and tilers etc pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease use caulk instead and only use silicone in the appropriate places ? It's not right, it's not clever and it's against the law. (Well it's not really against the law but don't tell the joiners that). There's no need to silicone everything, it's lazy and inconsiderate to do so and it's really annoying for decorators (well it is for me anyway). Thanks for listening. Bloggs

Reply to
Billy Bloggs

Just spent days scraping this s**t off an old fireplace someone had seen fit to cover with plywood, so I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

My own favourite rant is against plumbers who leave floorboards loose and full of gaps.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

Us 'joiners' do that just to give painters something different to do, as it must get boring just pushing a brush around all day - says me ducking behind the parapet LOL

On a serious side, as an old chippie, I quite agree with what you are saying, the younger generation seem to use it for absolutely everything these days - and it seems to be a badge of honour to have their clothes covered in the damn stuff as well. The annoying part is, rather than get something to fit properly, they just say 'bang it on' an well fill the gaps after with mastic.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Reply to
Billy Bloggs

It is the recommended method anywhere, so that when the inevitable movement occurs between the two walls, the seal is maintained. If grout was used it might crack.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That's interesting and I can see the sense in it though I personally would just grout

Reply to
Billy Bloggs