Silicone and Joiners

Can I just say that as a decorator (among other things), I have wasted so much time trying to get silicone off wood and walls before I can paint them. The other day I started to undercoat some dado rail hoping it would be quick as I was on a bit of a tight schedule only to find that the ..... ...... who did the tiling and the dado had filled the gaps with silicone and smeared it all aver the dado and the wall edges. Could all of you joiners and tilers etc pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease use caulk instead and only use silicone in the appropriate places ? It's not right, it's not clever and it's against the law. (Well it's not really against the law but don't tell the joiners that). There's no need to silicone everything, it's lazy and inconsiderate to do so and it's really annoying for decorators (well it is for me anyway). Thanks for listening. Bloggs

fit to cover with plywood, so I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.
My own favourite rant is against plumbers who leave floorboards loose and full of gaps.
Duncan
Billy Bloggs wrote:

Us 'joiners' do that just to give painters something different to do, as it must get boring just pushing a brush around all day - says me ducking behind the parapet LOL
On a serious side, as an old chippie, I quite agree with what you are saying, the younger generation seem to use it for absolutely everything these days - and it seems to be a badge of honour to have their clothes covered in the damn stuff as well. The annoying part is, rather than get something to fit properly, they just say 'bang it on' an well fill the gaps after with mastic.
Brian G
Ye I'm glad some people agree with me. It's true about people putting it everywhere. I always wonder why tilers run a line of it down the corners from top to bottem in public toilets. Is it because people piss all over the walls after drinking coffee and chewing on a big Mac ?

Billy Bloggs wrote:

It is the recommended method anywhere, so that when the inevitable movement occurs between the two walls, the seal is maintained. If grout was used it might crack.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk