Siemens 3 way central heating valve connections

Hi Has anyone details of what the wires actually do on these valves. I bought one branded Wickes but cannot find a simple diagram that shows what wires should be energised for the three valve states.

I do not wish to use a controller, just a simple bit of relay logic to operate the thing.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Hi Simply these valves are normally just an electric motor which has 2 wires and one or more micro-switches which are used in conjunction with the 'stats pump & boiler. These vary from valve type due to spec' but normally have 3 wires com/Normally open/Normally closed rated at 240v in most cases but again check the spec'. Finally an earth wire. This gives on the more common valves 6 cores. Colour varies but in most UK made valves brown & blue are motor green/yellow earth, white grey and orange switch.(again the included spec should give the colour code. The thing to note is that the motor is energised all the time when the valve is open so you only need to put power to the motor wires to make it work . In the olden days this was fed via the room stat and no other connections were used but don't try it today . You can find all the different wiring configurations on line and others on group will probably have a link.

Reply to
cj

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Many thanks Adam

You cannot imagine how grateful I am for your assistance. I have spent hours trawling the internet and all I came up with was the Siemens PDF which gives no clue to a none plumbing person as to what the valve actually does.

Again Many Many thanks for your help.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Actually, there are 2 port valves that operate the opposite way. They are used on solid fuel heating systems and the power is applied to close the valve. It is a fail safe in the event of a powercut.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

May also be of help to you.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I am controlling one from a computer. IIRC, I'm using two 2-pole changeover relays to effectively get independant control of each output. I can try and find the circuit if you're interested.

These things are cleverly and minimally designed to be controlled by simple heating controls, and it can be fiddly to use them in other situations, but by no means impossible.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've been using a valve motor to open and close my greenhouse window for at least ten years!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews