Shower tray.

I want to install a shower tray. Never had a separate one before so please bear with me. I have a 1200 by 800 rectangular one in mind with a sheet of glass down the non wall side and no door.
I notice in the mags some shower trays sit on the floor and look very smart. I can't have this as my joists run the wrong way for getting the waste pipe away. The other option is to have the tray on legs with a plastic skirt/shroud around it. Not so smart in my opinion.
I'm thinking in terms of a raised shower tray with a tiled surround.
To facilitate this should I go for a shower tray with legs or one with out? Are shower trays rigid enough to be supported by a perimeter frame of wood? How high should it be raised to accommodate the waste? With a tiled surround would it be normal to have some sort of access panel?
Thanks
mark

You can get trays on legs or build a platform for it to sit on, with a 1/2" layer of sand & cement between tray and EXTERIOR ply base.

See above answer

How long is a piece of string? It depends on your choice of trap

I would if it were me.

Look at Impey Aquadeck trays, they fit into the thickness of 20/22mm floor boards/deck. Your waste can run through the joists, fall of min 1:80 will suffice with a run up to 3m.
I would go for a raised floor on thick ply with a cement layer to take any unevenness. Also strongly recommend a TOP ACCESS WASTE TRAP
Cojack