Sheds?

Page 1 of 2

Hi people! I'm buying a new house and will need a largish-sized shed for bike, small freezer, wine-making gear, lawn-mower, etc. etc.
I've been looking at the wood-effect metal ones in Argos and at wooden ones. Has anyone got any comments about the metal ones? They seem to be practical, but I read somewhere that they can leak through the doors in the rain, are difficult to seal the floor, etc. .....
Apart from the obvious about putting them on a firm slab base, any other comments or advice??
I know there will be someone "out there" who knows All About Sheds, or can point me to a good website!!!!
Thanks.
Barb

For about 5 years we have a 10x8 Yardmaster metal shed that we are well pleased with. There is some ingress of water between shed and base but that used to happen with our wooden one as well and I have seen many cures for this on the 'net. No water gets in through roof, walls or doors. The only disadvantage that we are aware of is that it is difficult (impossible even) to put up shelves. However, we found that free standing plastic units from the likes of Homebase are adequate and have the advantage of being easily moved.
Our shed came from Garden Buildings Direct http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Metal-Garden-Sheds who, at the time, offered the best prices.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames
Barb wrote:

You'd be better off at uk.d-i-y - I've cross posted this. People there will be able to help.
Do not accept any advice to use an angle grinder as part of the construction process.
And do not under _any_ circumstances ask for help at uk.rec.sheds - it's not that kind of group...
Andy
saying something like:

Helpful type that I am... They know a lot about sheds.
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:42:01 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Last time I saw a request on Sheds about how to build a shed, the answer was to the effect that if you have to ask...
(Peter, Honarary Sheddy).
--
Peter.
PeterC wrote:

Just watching 'Shedheads' on TV & realised that one of the alleged 'chippies' also appears on DIY SOS - except on there he is described as a plumber...
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Blimey. The cult of uncelebrity, eh?
Many years ago I predicted usenet would fragment until we had uk.local.lincolnshire.spalding.co-op.baconcounter . I was wrong, it is happening on TV instead.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.much.invalid says...

What, even The Sky at Night?
like they were saying:

Still is.
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:09:33 +0100, Amethyst Deceiver

"*All* Sky TV is bad"
--
Siggy played guitar

Depends. If you watched the mid-day repeat (no longer with us) it usually was.

The US moon landings ?
<ducks, and runs for cover ..>
Paul.
Andy Champ coughed up some electrons that declared:

What if it's a steel framed shed?

?
Unless "sheds" is a fetish I've not heard of... "Shedding behind the sheds". The mind boggles....

Harsh, so harsh. We Shedi can be very helpful, welcoming too; you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff.
[relurk]
--
^^. Sn!pe http://snipeco.ath.cx (my test page)

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Condensation may be a problem in cold weather

I expected that with ours but it doesn't happen. Walls and roof stay condensation free throughout the winter. I suppose if you had heating in there but who wants to heat a garden shed?
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

don't be daft who would heat a shed unless they had been banished. My shed was brick and had a cement asbestos roof, and in cold damp weather the underside would be covered in water droplets, possibly because there was a freezer in there which heated the air just enough to set up a temperature differential with the outside air.

don't be daft who would heat a shed unless they had been banished. My shed was brick and had a cement asbestos roof, and in cold damp weather the underside would be covered in water droplets, possibly because there was a freezer in there which heated the air just enough to set up a temperature differential with the outside air.
You answered my question. Who would heat a shed? You did. ;o)
--
Keith W

Yes mate but the question is partly about having a shed which is suitable for a freezer ie a heat source

Yes mate but the question is partly about having a shed which is suitable for a freezer ie a heat source
Good point, I see what you are getting at now.
Keith W