Secondary Glazing

What's the pros and cons of using the heat shrink secondary glazing? Also is there any difference in different brands? We have wooden sash windows fitted new 6 years ago and had to seal the bottom halves with silicon within weeks due to the excessive ingress of water during storms. They are not too draughty but certainly letting a lot of heat out. Listed 'A' building so cannot fit any permanent fixture.

Mick

Reply to
Paddy

I fitted some ~20 years ago. It lasted up to 2 years, usually until someone or something poked a hole through it. However, on the window over the front door, where it's well out of the way, it's still there, and still in excellent condition (invisible). Note that that's longer than some real double glazing lasts ;-) It was Sellotape brand.

Obviously, before you apply it, clean the window and frame very well. I degreased the area where the double-sided tape was to go by cleaning it with white spirit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's ok, but if you put it over a window which is not draught free then it will stretch in the wind and need reheating to go tight again after the wind drops.

Reply to
Jim S

Before we had proper DG, we tried lots of different internal ideas.

The best we found was proper glass panes and a kit from the ironmonger.

The kit consisted of a reel of U shaped edging strip for the glass pane and a set of simple twist catches that were screwed around the edge of the edged glass pane. The pane was put against the frame and the catches twisted half a turn to lock the glass to the frame.

They could be stored in the garage in summer and got out in winter. They were very effective for heat and noise as the sealed space was quite large and they didn't look too bad.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks to all for the advice. I think in the short term I will go for the heat shrink but look to Eric's idea in the long term. So much for living in a listed 'A' (ancient monument) and the government carrying on about energy efficiency.

Thanaks - Mick

Reply to
Paddy