Sealing shower

A couple of years ago I had a plumber install a new shower for me. Because he was pushed for time and I really needed the job doing he suggested that I seal it once he was finished.

I got some silicone sealant and squirted liberal amounts around where the shower tray joins the tiled wall. At first I was still getting leaks so I just used more sealant. That eventually stopped it leaking.

the trouble is that the finished job looked very ugly with lots of sealant visible and over the course of time the sealant has become very soft and is now coming away in places.

I plan to remove the old sealant and do it again - but this time I want to do a better job! So what is the best product for this - are all silicone based sealants pretty much the same? And what is the way to stop the sealant going soggy? I was wondering if the best technique is to use as little as practically possible?

Any information and tips gratefully received!

Gavin

Reply to
gavin

Did you use Bathroom sealant ? Suggest using masking tape 8mm above the gap on the tiles and the same below on the shower tray then run your sealant around just before it goes off, remove the tape and you will have clean lines of sealant top and bottom as for the soggy and coming away, depends on quality of sealant and the size of your gaps I guess

Reply to
Vass

To get the nice 8mm (or 5mm or whatever) gap, get some 8mm quadrant beading from B&Q, cut to say 12 inch lengths, apply masking take on wall, insert and hold beading and cut away surplus tape using a sharp craft knife. End up with nice parallel tape edge, exactly 8mm edge.

Buy expensive bathroom silicone (£6 ??), as this contains fungicide to stop mould, cut nozzle of silicone to match your tape gap, and apply silicone. Note the direction you push the tube prevents build up of too much silicone, any excess being hopefully forced onto the masking tape. You can also get Plasplug (£2) moulded silcone scrapers that also make a neat job as well, if you are not too happy using a finger.

Oh, make sure there is zero movement between the shower tray and tiles or else the silicone will split due to excessive movement.

Reply to
Ian_m

Many thanks to Vass and Ian_m for their replies - I'll give it a go - with good quality sealant!

Gavin

Reply to
gavin