sealant maybe

I hope its ok to post here . I did think of posting it on a gardening newsgroup but as it about sealing wood, I though the expertise would be here.
I sectioned off part of my garden to let it overgrow to help with the wild life. I thought it would be a good idea to enclose the area using old railway sleepers.
Did not give a thought to the fact that they would smell of creosote or something similar and one touch and your covered in it.
The grandchildren come round to play sometimes and I know they will climb on the sleepers.
Is there any paint or sealant that I can use so the preservative stays in the wood and not on my grandchildren.
thank you
Norman wrote:

Don't think so - http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur08.htm
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Guess I had better get rid of them.......

Are you assuming that they will smell and be dirty, or have you found out by trying them? I'm surprised that old railway sleepers will still smell sufficiently to be a problem, and likewise the dirt factor.
Rob Graham
Rob graham wrote:

My BIL has them in his garden & you can't touch them in hot weather without getting mucky - he asked me for advice which is how come I knew paving expert covered it.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Rob graham wrote:

My grandfather was a railway signalman and always had a few old sleepers which he sawed up and split for firewood, they burned very well and gave off a lovely aroma of pine & creosote.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

I've used shellac-based knotting to seal creosoted timber with great success.(And this was fresh creosote, only applied a month previously)
Limey Lurker wrote:

Problem is that the creosote on railway sleepers is not just painted on, it's forced in under pressure or under a vacumn.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
"Norman" wrote:

My only experience of this is that last year I creosoted the most vulnerable parts of my shed then a few days later I sprayed it all over with B & Q's own brand of dark brown sprayable shed and fence preservative, and the preservative covered the creosote and dried fine, no different to the areas that I hadn't creosoted. The creosote was some old genuine stuff, not the substitute that is on sale now.

The "weeping" sleepers in my garden I covered in sand to soak up the tar and on the "kid" accesable parts covered with decking. Works well apart from decking is rotting in places (continuous immersion), maybe I should croesote the decking !!!