Scale Watcher - Anything Known

Just had a leaflet for this gadget, Scalewatcher, put through the door. It claims to prevent new scale forming in the water pipes and reduce what is there. Appears to be a small unit with wires wrapped around the pipe and costing around £3 per year to run. I have a vague feeling that I heard of similar gadgets years ago. Has anyone any knowledge of this kit and is it worth pursuing (gut feeling says not)? They don't mention the price either, any idea what that would be?

Reply to
Keith W

You will now predictably get a few replies from others stating that they are 'snake oil' and any proof that they work is fabricated. I installed one a few years ago and the scale formation in my kettle was reduced quite a bit over a period of time and I imagine my boiler too - however - with my electric shower, instead of the scale forming and gradually killing the heater can & element, the scale partially formed on the element and was then ejected in tiny bits which were perfect for blocking the shower head even straight after cleaning it out. My opinion is that they do slow the formation of scale to a certain degree but this is only beneficial in certain circumstances.

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I will only suggest that the OP looks for the ASA reports on Scalewatcher and let him make his own mind up.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I see what you mean. Having said that, I have now seen the price (>£200) and reckon they're having a laugh.

Reply to
Keith W

Whoa! we got a device that sounds exactly like that I think we paid about ten quid for it in a local DIY store. It's a small box full of electronics with a row of green and red LEDs which indicate if it's working OK (all green is OK if any red one light, you should turn it off then back on to reset), then you have two lengths of thin wire, one from each end of the device and about 3ft long. You mount the device on a pipe as close to the main water inlet pipe to the house as you can, then wrap each length of wire around the pipe either side of the device - I assume forming some kind of electro magnetic field?? not that calcium is magnetic!

Anyway, we've had this....must be 20 years and all I can say is, if it works, then I'd hate to see the state of my kettle if this wasn't connected! - how do you judge? How does it work?

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

Actually, the electronics is just to drive the LEDs.

You don't need to wrap the wires around the pipe. It works just as well if you leave the device in the box, on the shelf on the shop.

Well, you seem to have proved it doesn't, but then so has everyone who's tested one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel