Scaffold Planks

I have a hall, stairs and landing to paint. The ceilings are 9 foot high so the highest point of the landing ceiling is 16 feet from the stair tread directly below it, if you see what I mean. Due to a bannister rail and spindles I cannot get a ladder across the stairs from the landing area. I am thinking of using ladders and a plank or two to reach this part. Will a scaffold plank supprt my weight (14 stone) over a 7 foot span and also where can I get a plank from without resorting to nicking one from a building site ;^)? I live in Leeds.
Cheers
John
John wrote:

I am sure that the regulars will all laugh at me for this but I have recently painted the landing ceiling. I didn't have a ladder tall enough to reach and I would have needed boards to do some parts any way. Rather than go through all that messing about I zip tied a paint brush to an aluminium pole and painted it that way. You can't tell that I did it like that and the cutting in is perfect. If I ever had to do it again that is how I would do it. The only thing I would recommend with this approach is that you put the lighter coat (probably the ceiling) on first.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:13:13 +0000 (UTC), "John"

I got some from Jewsons, they told me they hadn't sold any in years.
I've had a span of more like 11' between 2 ladders using 2 boards thickness to reduce springyness.
My decorators at my old house did exactly what I think you are describing to paper the wall to the side of the staircase.
Bit risky of course.

A hire shop. You can also hire scaffold tower parts there, to make up a proper stairway platform, if you want.
Colin Bignell

Besy place to buy them is a hire shop as they have to replace them every so often to meet some reg or other. I'd put a couple on top of each other for your weight.
where can I get a plank from without resorting to nicking one from a building site

I've got two outside my front door - help yourself if I'm not in. I live in Liverpool.
ZD
John snipped-for-privacy@idontlikespam.co.uk typed:

Available from most good builders merchants for 20 ish, alternatively length of 8x2 x3Mt is about 8.
-- Mark
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:13:13 +0000 (UTC), "John"

It will support you, but will sag, better to use 2, one on top the other.
However the easiest thing to do is to buy a 14 foot 3 *8 (or similar) and cut it in two, it will more than hold you .......
Rick