sanding finishing plaster

Hi
what is the best way to smooth down some finishing plaster that was used to cover up some cable trunking. Its a little high and a normal sander is making little impact on the plaster. if we paper over as is it will show up as a bump about 1" wide by 6' high.
Mark
use a coarser grit paper on the sander. The lower the grade, the more coarse. 40 Grit will sand metal away, so should make light work of a bit of plaster. Finish off with something smoother.

Yikes that explains it. I though the grit went the other way!
Thanks
Mark