sander advice pls

i'm looking for a sander to do doors, door frames, skirtings, architraves & general carpentry & some small section of walls that have been badly plastered! any advice on what type i should go for? i don't want something that is big & heavy, a dust bag would be helpful but apart from that, i don't know... i see orbital, belt, sheet, eccentric? detail & mouse/palm sanders being sold. help? don't want to spend too much either & don't mind a shop own brand sander as opposed to a big brand name, will only use it for the current house & the next house & that's my lot of diy done! ohh my back aches...

alex

Reply to
<->

For the applications you describe you&#39;ll be wanting the mouse/palm variety.

I&#39;d always been rather snobbish about them and thought of them as being a bit of a fad but as luck would have it I&#39;ve just spent three weeks in the company of one (B&D Mouse, though the current model is called another name and is hideously orange), engaged in precisely the tasks you mention. It&#39;s been superb.

Your skirting will tremble as you strap on the 40 grade!

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

thanks.

alex.

Reply to
<->

Having used most types the only one I would ever buy is a palm sander. The B&D &#39;mouse&#39; types are utter rubbish - the sanding sheets for them cost an absolute fortune, don&#39;t last long, and the build quality is dire. Go to any municipal dump and you&#39;ll find plenty of &#39;mice&#39; in the skip! A standard palm sander - Bosch - in contrast is built to last, and although you can buy pre-cut sheets for it they are just the right size to use the &#39;tradesmans&#39; rolls of sanding paper, which works out much cheaper as you just cut off sheets as you need them. OK palm sanders no good for detail, but it does not sound like you need it for any detail work anyway... Graham

Reply to
GTS