Sandblasting old door

Hi,
I've got this old, heavy front door with numerous layers of paint, and I want to repaint the door.
Instead of messing around with stripper, or mechanical sanders, I'm thinking of taking the door off and letting a sandblasting company go crazy on it.
Has anyone done this before? Is it a good idea or a bad idea (I guess the treatment could be TOO aggressive)?
Cheers.
Have you investigated getting it dipped.
| Hi, | | I've got this old, heavy front door with numerous layers of paint, and I | want to repaint the door. | | Instead of messing around with stripper, or mechanical sanders, I'm thinking | of taking the door off and letting a sandblasting company go crazy on it. | | Has anyone done this before? Is it a good idea or a bad idea (I guess the | treatment could be TOO aggressive)? | | Cheers. | |

I'd suggest using a hot air gun and scraper to remove the multiple layers and paint stripper to remove any remaining residue, it's a really quick combination and is far less aggressive than either sandblasting or tanking.
--
fred

I did exactly what you suggest with another door.. and it took ages. Probably near 6-7 hours in total. Just to get the old paint off. If I was a pensioner with oodles of time maybe that would acceptable, but I'm not, so it's not ;-)

I'm sure you can get it down to 4hrs with practice ;-), the other 2 options are pretty much bound to ferk the door.
--
fred

Sandblasting will probably take longer than scraping