Sand Blaster and Compressor

Hi all We have a stone wall, which the previous occupants started to varnish, and stopped. It looks awful, so we are going to sandblast the varnish off. I reckon it won't take long to do, and we also want to sand blast some beams we have, which again the previous owners started to varnish and stopped. Anyone ever sandblasted wooden beams ? Any tips ?
Thanks
"Adrian Rees MW1LCR" wrote:

No personal experience but as this is an abrasive process I wonder if the treated area will look different to the untreated area in that the sand may also remove some of the stone surface or wood under the varnish. Sounds like a dusty process to me.

get a pro firm to do it, they don't usually charge an incredible amount, just look up gritblasting, sandblasting or shotblasting, you should find someone to give a quote.

On a limestone inside wall partially varnished I used couple coats of paint stripper, lots of rags+brushing, washed off and roughened/cleaned with brick acid and wire brush. Varnish had been applied I suspect to try and cure a damp problem, but just went black and mouldy under the varnish. I fixed the damp problem, breached DPM, before stripping the varnish.