Rust-coloured stain

Using an angle grinder I've cut off two cast iron brackets which were cemented into a brick wall (they were originally used to support a water tank). I've now filled in the hole flush with the original plaster, but almost immediately, a rust-coloured stain has appeared through the filler, exactly in the position of the brackets. Is this stain going to continue to appear when I paint over the filler with emulsion? Is there any kind of treatment I should put on the filler before I paint the wall?
Thanks.
Steve.

Yes!
Is there any kind of

I've used Polycell Stainblock with great success. I think some people have painted the area with gloss paint and it has worked for them
Rob Graham
"Steve Bowyer" wrote:

Try gloss or stain hiding paint. If the rust leeches through that you will need to remove the filler back to the rusting metal, cure the rust, then refill.
Steve Bowyer wrote:

Dig back out the filler and paint rusty stub with any gloss paint and wait for it to dry,then refill.
This wouldn't be an old bog cistern would it?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite