Router ... which one ... advice please

Hi Folks,
No doubt this is a common request but any advice would be welcome.
I do do the occasional DIY about the house and am reasonably skilled but it is not my hobby or even a major interest, notwithstanding that I do have a bench saw, band saw, pillar drill, scroll saw, sanding machine and enough miscellaneous and hand tools to sink a battleship.
I am missing a router though and would like advice as to what would be a good buy.
Essentially I can't see me using it more than two or three times a year. Initially I'd be using it primarily to put a nice edge on softwood shelving and perhaps making groves for plate shelving. Longer term I may wish to use it to make simple tongue in grove joints in softwood/MDF, finishing doors (hinge and latch recesses etc.) and last but not least to make simple window frames for a shed I'm building next summer.
So suggestions please ... as for price it's fair to say I can afford what I want but I object to spending hundreds when something at the 10th of the price will do what I want just as well.
Thanks in advance.
--

All the best,

Chris

Chris Wilson wrote:

Chris,
I bought one of the Aldi (20 ish) ones a few years ago to replace a worn out 'professional' DeWalt one (I'm an old retired carpenter [amongst other jobs]) and found it most reliable - and it did what I wanted it to do then (and is still doing so on the very rare occasions I now disappear into the workshop).
Cash

Aldi? I would never have thought about going there ... does it take standard tools and have a side fence?
--

All the best,

Chris

Snap. I too have the Aldi machine along with their Router work bench and it has done everything I have asked of it. They don't stock them all the time, you have to wait for them to come around on a promotion.
I like Aldi tools particularly as they usually come with a 3 year warranty.
Mike

Another vote for Aldi ... wow! I have to confess I haven't been in a Aldi in my life and wouldn't for a moment have thought of going there. Best I broaden my horizons.
--

All the best,

Chris