Roof Trusses

Greetings, in the roof space (loft) of my 1950's built house the trusses which support the roof have a vertical 2x1 wooden strut from peak to main joists. Would it be adviseable to remove one to give more accessible space or is that a nono.
JG
corbei wrote:

replacing it with other elements that have the same effect. Is it possible to put in uprights with a suitable cross-piece that would support a shortened vertical?
--
Sue

Palindrome wrote:

head height.
JG

In any modernish house the roofs are built to absolute minimum specs and removal of even an apparently functionless piece can critically effect the stability of the whole.
Nothing should be done to it without competent professional help.
EricP wrote:

would really increase the roof space to almost room size. Still I can work round it.

Don't be discouraged. A simple bit of steel support properly applied can open an entire roof space up for very little cost when considering the overall effect. You do need expert advice and it does not have to cost the earth. A structural engineer is only involved with a visit and trip to the roof space to give advice.
EricP wrote:

removed. It left an interesting amount of space and I was mainly thinking out loud. If in the future I go ahead I will certainly get someone to advise. Thanks for your input.
JG

They are not trusses, not man enough, probably simple ceiling braces. if you have purlins then these will provide support for the rafters mid span. I design loft conversions so may be able to help if you can send a photo and simple loft plan with dims. If you want to simply use for storage or access then you should be ok, but your main issue will be providing alternative floor support independent of the existing ceiling joists and possibly headroom.
AJH wrote:

Thank you for your comments, that sounds more like it.

At the moment I am struggling to get the new bathroom completed and the weather is looking better for golf so loft conversion is way back on my list. I have no doubt the time will come but not soon. :-)

I had in mind a bolt hole I can retreat to where stuff gets stored. Part of the loft is already floored with reclaimed flooring and there is plenty of headroom. I have about 6ft. either side of the centre line with headroom. If and when I decide to go further I will post in here and hope you see it. I must admit that I am not hugely competent at diy nor overly keen but I was interested to see if it could be done. Thank you very much for your interesting reply.
JG