roof repalcement

We have an extension to the back of the house with a flat tarmaced roof. It is badly in need of replacement and I was thinking of tackling it myself.
Does anyone have directions to some reference material regarding how roofs are constructed and are there any known pitfalls that I should be aware of?
Its a single storey extension.

I had a good deal of success by simply putting a load of bitumen adhesive on the roof ( preparation was just brushing it off) and laying new felt on top of the old. After about 3-4 years I had the extension replaced with a conservatory but it didn't leak during that time. Total cost was about 40, one broom and a days work.
TonyB
Odds are the board beneath the felt is rotten as well. (Some used to be chipboard!) To do it properly this should be replaced. You could go for a fibreglass roof. It is more expensive but should last longer and is easy to patch up if needed.