roof problem

been up in my loft today and have noticed that the felt under the tiles is torn and hanging down on one side looks like to replace it all the tiles will have to come of on that side of the roof not really a job i can tackle myself anyone any ideas what sort of price i will be looking at before i get some roofers over? its a 3 bed mid terrace btw in west yorkshire

Reply to
Mindwipe

Can you see the underside of the tiles?

Often bits of felt hang down, but they were the end of the roll and are overlapped with the next piece so it doesn't matter.

If it is torn through to the tiles, it usually won't matter unless you have some broken/leaking tiles higher up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

can see the underside of quite alot of tiles the felt which is hanging down is rotten have checked it on the other side of the roof it isnt torn yet but it doesnt look as if it will last long

Reply to
Mindwipe

If it's rotten, that implies it was getting wet reasonably often. You might have some broken or slipped tiles further up the roof.

Replacement is not difficult, but it does involve stripping off the tiles and battens as you suspected. I did an area of my roof last summer, including a valley (which was the main problem area). I got scaffolding put up to the gutter line -- make sure you tell the scaffolders you will be piling up the roof tiles on it, as they are collectively very heavy. I also took the opportunity to replace the facias and guttering. Next summer, I'll be doing the other side, although I don't think I need to replace any felt on that side.

Use a modern replacement for the felt. It's plastic with fibre- glass imbedded to make it untearable and a slightly absorbent matt back to prevent any condensation dripping off. It comes in breathable and non-breathable versions, depending if your loft is ventilated elsewhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

thanks for the advice have arranged for a roofer to come and have a look this week as the job is beyond my fear of heights if ts a reroof then i think i may as well get the facia's and guttering done at the same time,they look a bit tatty anyway was gonna ask for some vented ridge tiles too as the type of house i live in does suffer a bit from damp in the lofts

Reply to
Mindwipe