Ridge Tiles.

About 15 Ridge Tiles on my Bungalow need re pointing, some cement having fallen out. A Roofing Contractor called at my request (Not just a mobile phone One with name on vehicle. To re move tiles and reset 380 to re point 280. Told him I thought it was too much and he went, telephone call from him later said he had made a mistake, re pointing should have been 180. I may be behind the times but I consider these quotes over the top. Any views please Peter.
Does this include the VAT
........................Leslie

A tip I got from a builder -- when you want a little job like this doing, take a walk or cycle ride around your local area looking for someone having a roof retiled. Ask the tiler to pop round and do the job. Cost me 20 to have half a valley gutter repointed and one ridge tile repointed, although I already had the sand and cement on site (and scaffolding up, although I got the distinct impression the roofer wouldn't have required that).
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:28:03 +0100, "Peter C"

If it were me I would be thinking that he thought I was stupid enough to pay 280 and when he found I wasn't he dropped to 180. I would take this as an insult and would find someone else.
<BeeJay> wrote in message wrote:

Thanks to all who relied, I shall look elsewhere, perhaps a man working on a roof . Peter

I've never tackled repointing of same, but I've been on a few roofs before (e.g. to scrape moss off) and provided you're not afraid of heights, anyone can do this. You would need an assistant to help you pass fresh cement up etc.. but just think of how much you'd save yourself. The key trick with ridge tiles is that you take a tough pillow up with you, as sitting on these things can hurt after just a few minutes...........

He will, weather permitting,do the job next Saturday .Considerably cheaper than the ridiculous quote I got.

both legs dangling down one side,e.g. side saddle. this way you can hold bucket of mortar between feet and knees, leave hand free..