Ridge Tiles

I .live in a 1980s Bungalow. About 4 years ago the cement on the Ridge Tiles started breaking away.. I had them re pointed after the loose cement taken out. I now find I am faced with the same problem. Looking a head and thinking of the strong winds I do not want to be faced with the things blowing off.(OK perhaps an Insurance job) Thinking of having 40 original ones removed and new ones supplied and fitted I intend to get estimates, but how much in s to I aim for? Peter.
If the tiles are Ok and it is just the pointing, why not have it just reponited ? 1980 tile should be Ok for 50 / 60 years
just a thought !
David
******************************************************************************** DAVID HICKS ASSOCIATES LIMITED Industrial Roofing & Cladding Consultants Tel 01296 719775 Fax 01296 339073 Mobile 07980 432848 Visit our web site http://www.roofconsultant.fsnet.co.uk Please note whilst every effort is taken to ensure that emails issued from this company are virus free, it is the recipient's responsibility to check them before opening. This company will not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage of data howsoever caused ********************************************************************************
size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; I .live in a 1980s Bungalow. About 4 years ago the cement on the Ridge Tiles<BR>&gt; started breaking away.. I had them re pointed after the loose cement taken<BR>&gt; out.<BR>&gt; I now find I am faced with the same problem.<BR>&gt; Looking a head and thinking of the strong winds I do not want to be faced<BR>&gt; with the things blowing off.(OK perhaps an Insurance job)<BR>&gt; Thinking of having 40 original ones removed and new ones supplied and fitted<BR>&gt; I intend to get estimates, but how much in s to I aim for?<BR>&gt; Peter.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=

If they were repointed 4 years ago, and now they need doing again, they obviously weren't done very well. You don't need new ridge tiles - just the existing ones refixing properly. If you have new ones, and the job is done no better than the repointinting, they could well need doing again in 4 years time. Get someone in who you know will do a good job, and they won't need doing again for a very long time.

out, this means the cement as failed and is releasing the sand. You cant make new mortar stick to this, all you are doing is sticking the new mortar to loose sand.
Take the ridge tiles off, clean all loose and fixed mortar off the tiles and ridge. Mix 2 sand 1 cement in a workable stiff mix, don't mix it sloppy or it will run down the roof, you want it to stay there while you bed the old ridge on. Bed the joints solid, butt the next ridge up to the first, keeping the ridge central and scrape of any excess mortar with a trowel. When you get to the end put the last ridge on first then the cut.ridge piece. Never put a cut on the end.

Peter.

Hi Peter, Get them taken off, cleaned up and re-bedded. If any break they should be easily matched in with. They will probably be concrete Universal ridge. Should cost 200 - 300 if access is easy. Re-pointing is a waste of time. Cheers Stuart
Hi Guys
I think I have spotted an interesting difference in terminology here
When I say repoint, I take it to understand and mean that the tiles are removed and re-instated with new mortar, not just rake out the crumbly bits and refill. Clearly this is not what others understand by repoint , am I right or am I confused ?
David

If a customer ask me to re point their ridge tile, all this is just scrap out any loose or powdery mortar and point over with new mortar.
If they ask for re bed and point, the ridge are taken off, all the old mortar is removed from the tiles and the ridge. Then re laid and bed in new mortar and neat pointed. Does that sound clear. If not ask Smee. LOL
Keith (Notts)
I fully understand what you say Keith, but in "my circles " we have a different understanding of the terminology
Interesting eh ? though if I were ask to have brickwork repointed it would have the same meaning as you state for the ridge !!!!
Like those on the South Coast that think a " Nipper" is a young lad, where " 'ere in Rural Boo'ks, we fink it just meansa kid of any sex"
So it's no good asking Smee is it now , afterall he calls it a Verge, when we all know it's really a barge !! LOL
David