Retained basin waste

Just opened the box one of these bought yesterday:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/lrgimg_popup.jsp ;jsessionid=TZC33EKBOZEUGCSTHZOCFFQ?productIdW005&imageNo=null&ts1462
I was surprised to find that the grid is offset to one side about 2 - 3 mm, and the hole drilled through the central part of the grid which holds the plug shaft is also offset by the same amount. This allows the plug to seat centrally in the waste body, apparently working as it should.
It just looks very odd. Can anyone confirm that this is the way retained wastes should appear?
TIA
--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)
Jeff Layman wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/lrgimg_popup.jsp ;jsessionid=TZC33EKBOZEUGCSTHZOCFFQ?productIdW005&imageNo=null&ts1462
Replaced this morning at Screwfix. New one is much better.
--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

I've got one of those and it certainly isn't as you describe your first purchase. The one problem I had ( and still do have to some extent) with it is the problem of keeping the plug in the "up" position if that is what I want as it has a mind of it's own and has a habit of falling back down in to the waste. You'll see that there are a couple of grooves round the plug shaft and I think it's intended that you use those to keep it in position when you lift it up and tip it to the side . I have a monobloc tap and it's obviously right above the waste so perhaps it is the flow of water almost directly on to the waste that is causing the problem
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Fortunately I have two separate taps.
I haven't fitted the waste yet, but the white washer seems rather thick. Did it compress down well?
--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)