Requirements for protecting bonding conductors from the consumer unit?

I'm about to install a 10mm earth cable from the MET in the consumer unit to the water and gas pipes (it'll be a single unbroken cable). What are the requirements for protecting this cable throughout the run? It will need to be run down a wall which will then be be plastered and then under a concrete floor (which has not been laid yet).

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
clangers_snout

Armed guards every 10 metres, or the Pikeys will get it!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Without checking chapter and verse, I would pop it in 20mm conduit with usefully placed access points - just for easy replacement if it gets a hole drilled through it!

Reply to
Tim Watts

The earth cable will be 6491X or 6491B.

4mm is the min size that requires no mechanical protection. 16mm is the min size that can tolerate the sheath being ripped off and needing nothing doing (hence for a TT earth rod outside you either use a small size in conduit all the way or 16mm outside of conduit, costing out each).

However, for ease of replacement I would run where necessary in conduit - cheap flexible PVC conduit with gently bends. You can achieve a gentle bend from wall to floor by turning sideways along the wall (if that makes sense).

Note BS7671 cable zones do not apply to bonding conductors, ie, you do not have to run in a 150mm band from the vertex of wall junctions or wall ceiling junctions, or horizontal or vertical zone defined by wiring accessory etc etc.

Reply to
js.b1