Repointing

Hmmmm. A few cracks in the outside mortar (between bricks). A neighbour said it "might need repointing". If it needs doing, I'd consider doing it myself (done some research and think I can manage it!). Thing is, I have no idea if the job really needs doing - couldn't I just fill in the minor cracks and repaint? Might it be more serious and actually be an "insurance job"? The house is c. 40 years old.

Thnx for any advice. Tro

Reply to
Tro.Jan

We have had a couple of the hottest months on record, IIUC. Heaven knows what that has done to the water table all over the place and no doubt a few cracks have appeared as a result. Some will be serious enough to be an "insurance job".

If they are just hairline cracks, you probably have nothing to worry about. I've found (on other people's houses!) that a hobby tool with a diamond 1/8" cylindrical tool will quickly and easily open up the crack to enough to be able to get flexible filler in, without it just falling off the surface. It hasn't fallen off since and the cracks have shown no sign of re-appearing. A lot quicker and easier than repointing.

My place has solid stone walls with a bit of lime mortar here and there between them. No foundations. It all moves around, but the walls are a metre thick. I only worry if there are cracks going through rocks, rather than around them!

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thnx for that. Regarding the flexible filler, what type did you use? Is it suitable for over painting? Tro

Reply to
Tro.Jan

Sorry, can't help as I can't remember the name as I didn't buy it. But, IIRC, it was stuff especially intended for filling outside cracks in walls. It painted over with no problems. If you really need to know, I can phone the person up and ask what it was, but I don't think that you will have any problems. The key thing is opening up the crack enough to get stuff into it. Without that, all you have is a very thin surface layer that soon falls off.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Many thanks, very helpful! I'll have a look in my local DIY store when I have a few mins. Just had an expert look at the cracks and he seems to think that it's a minor filling in job rather than anything more serious. Tro

Reply to
Tro.Jan

Can you clarify what a "hobby tool with a diamond 1/8" cylindrical tool" is? I'm reading it as a power drill with an 1/8" drill bit. Tro

Reply to
Tro.Jan

Something like this:

I got a set of diamond tools for it from the local market 3.99GBP, IIRC. Like these but a lot cheaper:

The one I use is basically a short 1/8" rod with a coating of diamond dust along the top half inch.

A little water spray can will keep things cool and make the thing last for "ever".

Reply to
Palindr☻me