Replacing two old pin sockets

Page 1 of 2

When we first moved into our current house 30 years ago I installed a number of two pin round (3A?) sockets around the skirting board in the living room, linked to a light switch, for feeding table lamps around the room (we prefer that sort of low level distributed lighting). A couple of these have now cracked (courtesy of the vacuum cleaner) and we also have two metal table lamps. These sockets of course have no earth! I'd like to replace the lot with 3 pin (with earth) sockets, but not normal 3 pin square ones (don't want anyone plugging an electric fire into it). Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement (and source of them)? David (remove _notme to email)

You can only do this if the cables to the sockets carry an earth conductor which is connected all the way back to the consumer unit.
I would suggest using 2A BS546 plugs and sockets (the smallest of the old round pin plugs and sockets). They are ideal for this purpose. They are available from larger B&Q's and anywhere with a wide range of electrical accessories. Note that you must use shuttered sockets in the home (they are also available without shuttered sockets for commercial use). Some people use the 5A version, but this is not required unless the light itself uses more than 2A (480W), and you probably wouldn't want a lamp of that power on your lighting circuit anyway.
Another plug and socket type I use for lighting are the Klik ones, but you probably don't want a locking plug/socket for portable lamps -- they are better for fixed lighting. You would have to go to an electrical wholesaler for these, or a mail order supplier with a very wide range.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What he said.. But I wouldn't have put it that well.. ;)
--
Sue

writes:

The shuttered, 3-pole BS546 panel sockets - fitted either as a single or daisy-chained in a group - must be suitably protected via a switched fused connection unit (with or without neon) fed from a T&E spur. Jim

I was presuming they are on the lighting circuit, but I'll grant you that the OP didn't actually say that.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Not if they're on a lighting circuit as implied.
--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And the fused connection unit, if required, does not need to be switched.
--
Andy

Beyond present Regs, IMO it's prudent to fuse-protect a spur (is it lighting or power?) - especially if feeding poster's unfused plugs to metal lamps - and also to enable/interrupt those appliances via a switch at arm's reach - near their points of usage. Cost difference here to incorporate both aspects is minimal. Jim

Says to me lighting, given the OP said they were controlled by a lighting switch.

Who's to say any switch close to the outlet or wherever will be within arm's length? And the same could equally apply to any earthed object plugged into any socket.
However, I'm sure you could find a maker of switched round pin 5 amp sockets if you tried hard enough.
--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

London SW

Thanks to all for your advice. The current light sockets are all on one spur from a light switch (and a 350w dimmer as it happens, but this keeps failing), which is in turn part of the ground floor lighting circuit supplied via an MCB in the CU. The sockets presently only have twin cable, but I will replace this with 1.5 T&E, with the earth linked back to the CU. Fortunately underfloor access is quite easy. Don't understand why a seperate fused switch plus neon is necessary, if these were all just fixed wall lights one wouldn't normally expect this. Anyway, as the sockets are all around the perimeter of a (long) room, they won't all be within arms reach of a single switch. I'll check B&Q for the 2A round pin sockets/plugs. David.

It's not. Actually, it would be silly. The MCB will work better than any fuse in a fused connection unit, and extra fusing will just cause confusion. 2A sockets are designed to be used on commercial lighting circuits protected at up to 10A, so there's no problem running them on domestic 5A/6A lighting circuits.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Very common in pubs etc. A mate of mine used to carry a cable with a 2A plug and 13A socket for charging his mobile off them.
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Are you using normal GLS lamps in the fittings? If so, you can load the dimmer up to its maximum. However, some other types of lamps - candle for example - may mean you have to use a dimmer of twice the nominal load.

Then that's fine.

I think it was thought they might be fed from the ring since they are floor outlets - in which case an FCU would be needed.

Or near any wholesaler.
--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain\'t bad

Both 2 and 5 amp 3 pin sockets are readily available from wholesalers - even the larger B&Q sell them.
--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:29:41 GMT, DavidM wrote:

Lots of advice on how to replace with old technology, why not look at the modern connectors for this very purpose. Here is an example:
<http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid '49&rangeid29>
--
Nigel M

Rather larger than a 2 amp three pin setup, doesn't use standard boxes etc, and I'll bet costs a lot more. And that's before the hideous looks. ;-)
--
*You can\'t have everything, where would you put it?

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:23:00 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Fair point, but it was just one example.
MK used to make 13A plugs/sockets with a non-standard earth pin, but I couldn't find them on their web site. There is also a system that you insert the plug then twist, these are often used in wiring bays.
My situation is a bit different from the OP, but I have 13A sockets to power the striplights above my kitchen cupboards. It is unlikely that anyone would plug in a hoover by mistake.
Is there any reason why one couldn't use a Schuko?
--
Nigel M

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Wot one of them?
Sounds like a napoleonic soldiers hat?
Dave
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:58:34 GMT, david lang wrote:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko
--
Nigel M

Nigel Molesworth wrote: