Replacing fusebox with RCD?

I know that there are pros and cons to replacing a 1980s fuse wire fusebox with a RCD box. I can't help but think that the pros outweigh the cons in terms of safety.

I moved in to a house a few months ago. It has a 1980s wire fusebox. I notice that there is an underground plastic coated cable in the garden going from the house to a shed. I can't find the source of the cable in the house. There are also a couple of outside lights plugged in to sockets inside the house. I've placed plug in RCDs in to them and sure enough they does eventually trip (it may take a few days).

I'm thinking that if I replace the fusebox with a RCD I may end up having lots of problems. I can guess that the outside wiring is going to cause the RCD to trip.

If this was the case would it be better to pay for essential inside appliances like the fridge to be placed on a non RCD circuit or would it be better and cheaper to try to disconnect all of the external wiring and use an extension cable when/if needed?

Reply to
Gareth

With the older 16th edition box you could supply circuits through an rccd and breaker or just a breaker.

The new boxes allow a more individual approach.

Your outside lights are probably getting waterlogged. You must carry out an insulation test.

Is the plastic cable Steel wire armoured? How is it terminated?

Personally if I found outside lights that were a permanent installation plugged into sockets, I would be a little concerned about the wiring philosophy..

Replacing the fusebox sounds like an excellent idea, and would be an opportunity to investigate every circuit thoroughly prior to connection.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Thank you. Interesting comments and almost identical to the ones I received today from an electrician.

The risk, aside from upgrade expense, seems to be nuisance tripping which is where testing of every circuit prior to upgrade comes in.

Gareth