removing silicone sealer

Any ideas of how to remove a bead of white sanitary silicone sealant which is showing between my stainless steel sink and the grey laminate worksurface which its mounted on...... it looks a bit out of place and would be better clear silicone rather than white....but before I do that I need to remove the white silicone without damaging the laminate surface. So far I am trying a surgical scalpel gently and slowly....but its slow and not 100% ..........am I missing a trick here?
all the best
Barry

Silicone eater , cant say if its any good I've not used it ... yet.
www.screwfix.com
Quote No. 18504
HTH
Lard

Its great, used it the othe day. Basically get as much off as you can first, then brush the stuff on. Leave for 10 minutes and wipe off with kitchen towel!
Tim Morley popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

10 mins, must be b***dy good. The unibond stuff says 2~4 hours and I found 4~5 hours was usually neccessary.
--
yours S

bs popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Nope, no trick what to do is remove as much of the silicone mechanicaly (without causing damage) as possible then apply a "silicone sealant remover", brand in front of me is Unibond (150 ml) available from B&Q [1] leave for 2~3 hours and remove gunk produced with a spatula or similar, wipe of any "detritus" with a dry cloth, really thick seals may need two or three applications. When all traces of the old seal are removed wipe down with methylated spirits before re-applying your clear silicone.
[1] Other makes and other stockists are available.
--
yours S

Remove as much as you can mechanically with scraping, single edged razor blade, craft knife W.H.Y. then treat the surfaces with silicone sealant remover (meths will have no effect at all on the fine layer left). Once the silicone remover has soaked in to the last layer with scraping. You will be amazed at what the remover gets off from areas you thought were virtually perfectly clean.
The remover is available in most DIY sheds, decent hardware stores or online from people like Screwfix.com.
--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.
Marcus popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

The methylated spirits is to neutralise the "silicone dissolver" before putting on another lot of silicone, as if it isn't neutralised the new silicon will start to dissolve where it touches any of the "dissolver" that is left.
--
yours S

bs popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Nope, no trick what to do is remove as much of the silicone mechanicaly (without causing damage) as possible then apply a "silicone sealant remover", brand in front of me is Unibond (150 ml) available from B&Q [1] leave for 2~3 hours and remove gunk produced with a spatula or similar, wipe of any "detritus" with a dry cloth, really thick seals may need two or three applications. When all traces of the old seal are removed wipe down with methylated spirits before re-applying your clear silicone.
[1] Other makes and other stockists are available.
--
yours S

My mates got grey silicone sealant between his grey/black worktop and stainless steel splashback, looks fine, originally had white which stood out like a "sore thumb". No idea where it came from though.