removing old varnish / paint

removing old paint and varnish from 70 y/o timber, the paint comes off fine, but theres this horrible brown arnish underneath, what are my options for getting this off ?

Get off as much of both off as you can with a hot air gun then remove the remaining residue with paint stripper. I use Nitromors Master Craftsmans' (Yellow tin) which is pure liquid, paint on, leave for 10mins, re-wet, remove as much of resulting goo as poss with a scraper then remove remainder with wire wool wetted with stripper. Finish with wire wool soaked in white spirit.
Don't forget the gloves, I use 3 layers with polythene as the top layer & still need to replace them once an hour, yuk.
--
fred

thanks, the fumes were bad enough hot air stripping it! , luckily im replacing as much woodwork as possible, basically leaves stair rail , bannister and wood detailing up the stairs - well keeps me out of trouble!

Yug, detailed parts are such a pain, mostly done on mine now, good luck.
ps: I've often despaired of getting the last bit out of a detailed moulding and left it 'til later only to come back to it when it had dried out and it just scraped out easily with a small screwdriver.
--
fred