Removing Old Silicone

I need to remove a load of ten year old silicone sealant from two edges of a bath. It's positively evil stuff which although not hardened, won't allow me to get an edge up and start peeling (it's very thick with plenty to get hold of).
The first idea I've come up with is a Stanley blade to remove the bulk, leaving a thin layer which can then be attacked with a hard edge that wont cratch the bath, namely a piece of hard plastic or a very blunt metal scraper. Any marks to be wet-and-dryed out and T-cut.
Obviously this is going to be hugely labour-intensive and I need it done for tonight!
So is anyone aware of a good technique? Preferably involving some preparation that I can slap on, leave, and return to find it just peels off.
Pouring boiling water over it also crossed my mind though I think this smacks rather too much of deperation.
Then again, I am deperate!
Bikini Whacks wrote:

Ok, I'm only 3 months into my first DIY job so if anyone contradicts me here, believe them not me :-)
My flat has silicon EVERYWHERE. Everywhere 2 surfaces meet, some **** put sealant.
What I've found to be really effective is: 1) Def cut as much as you can off with a stanley knife. 2) Apply sealant remover. I've found the one that's applied in a sealant-like applicator is better, but it's 10x messier than what's applied with a brush. 3) Use a wooden kitchen spatula to scrape off the remaining silicon. The wood is strong enough for you to apply a lot of pressure but won't scratch anything. That way you've no damage to repair.
But like I said, if someone says something else, follow their advice...
Tom

Remove the bulk by hand (ie scraping etc) and buy some silicone remover from B&Q to remove the rest.
Adam
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

silicone remover. Will have another look. Thanks.

<http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26107/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/Sealant-Remover/Unibond-Silicone-Sealant-Remover-150ml
or
<http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50080/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/Sealant-Remover/No-Nonsense-Silicone-Sealant-Remover-310ml
is the stuff you need.
Adam
says...

Bikini Whacks wrote:

A blunt scraper will do more damage than a sharp one.
Buy one of these scrapers & a pack of blades http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/Decorating-Sundries/Decorators-Knives/Heavy-Duty-Scraper
B&Q and Wickes sell them. These things are bloody sharp so be careful. Make sure the screws holding the blade are done up tight.
Start with the blade flat against a tile & push down & sideways at the same time, sliding it along - that will cut the silicone away from the tiles.
Then hold the blade flat against the bath & push in & along to cut it away from the bath. Remove any residue from the bath with silicone remover.
You cant scratch the tile and you won't scratch the bath if you keep the blade at the right angle.
I do this job at least half a dozen times a month & I've never scratched anything.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/Decorating-Sundries/Decorators-Knives/Heavy-Duty-Scraper
Aye I noticed these the other day. If ever there was a tool to go looking for a job with but, jeez, the collateral damage if you get it wrong!

I thought you were going to say, "then hold your breath..."

It was an akward bath in that it had a scalloped rim right up to the edge so instead of having four odd inches of flat to lean on I was attacking a half inch strip, with dire consequences for getting the horizontal angle wrong (damn you, window scraper)