Removing a WC

Hi,
I need to remove a WC for about 24 hours in order to fit floor tiles. I have looked, and it has a flexible connector that will allow it to work after having been lifted 1".
Could anyone advise on the precautions that need to be taken when carrying out this job? I was planning on disconnecting from the mains, flushing it, then bailing out the water in the pan. I would then remove both pieces and cover the waste pipe with a rubber membrane to stop any smells.
Is this the right way to carry this out? Is there any danger of it back filling etc?
Thanks,
John
John wrote:

I wouldn't bother bailing it out, yeuch - just keep it tilted forward. You can tilt it back to drain it, once clear, if you want.
I just put a plastic carrier bag over the top of the pipe, held in place with gaffer tape.
I changed the connector, rather than re-use the old one with its old rubber seals. It was just a push fit. Not something I would like to have had a drip that needed dealing with.
In a properly designed system there should be little to no risk of anything liquid (or solid, double yeuch) coming out of the pipe - any more than coming up into the bowl of the pan.
Don't smoke.
You may need new screws to hold it down. They are a weird size, IIRC. I used stainless steel ones.
The base may be sealed down to the floor - if so, it may be easier with two people, one lifting and one cutting any sealant. If you have the room to get two people around it.
Don't lean over and drop your glasses down the open pipe...
Enjoy!
--
Sue

Do replace the flexible seal , once they are in place a while they can lose their flexability and set their shape to the pipe so when disturbed they can drip.

Take your phone out of your pocket so that can't fall in. They dont work well under water. Specially water and ****!
Flush it first !!!

Use the loo brush to get the u-trap water oscillating back and forth round the u-trap, and you will get rid of most of it that way before disconnecting the pan.
When you pull the rubber seal out of the soil pipe, beware of the sealing ribs which spring back and flick shit in your face...
If it's close coupled and/or the cistern rises due to floor thickness, the fill pipe might not reach any more.
--
Andrew Gabriel