Remove Coving 'glue'

I have removed the coving from my kitchen and now want to paint the wall but there is still lots of glue type stuff which was used to hold the coving on - it needs to be removed but is difficult - has anyone got any ideas on an easier way than scraping with a wallpaper sraper which is what i'm currently doing? Is there some kind of solvent which would dissolve the glue?
says...

Depending what sort of glue it is, a hot-air gun might help. Or just a hair-drier if you ain't got a gnu.
Or - just experiment with different solvents. Nail varnish remover is acetone, though avoid the "oily" ones. Lighter fluid (not gas!) is petrol based - the list isn't endless but quite long.
--
Roland Butter :- There\'s nothing like a knob of butter.

Crikey! Can you borrow them from your local zoo?
(sorry...)
CAS