redering waterproof ?

Our cable end(brick build) is very open to the weather and gets the rain and wind a lot. We have rain leaking in through the top of the landing window and ive looked outside but there no holes in the briickwork, the seal around the window and frame are solid without holes or cack and the only thing i can think is that the rain is soaking through the exterior brcik and pointing. If we get the whole gable rembdered would this stop the problem ? or are there any other menthods one can use.

Most likely just needs repointing, and maybe only localised. Has the window ever been replaced -- might be wrongly installed. I wouldn't consider rendering unless the wall is in a very bad state and beyond simply repointing. Rendering itself can cause damp problems as it ages.
Water appearing at the top of a window might be leaking in much higher up, possibly the roof, and running down inside the wall until it meets an obstruction.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Hi Thanks for the info, the windows never been replaced and i a in atual doubt as to whether there is a lintel in there!
writes:

Might be better to get the gable repointed. Looks better than render and doesn't suggest you are trying to hide something should you come to sell.
mark

this patternt when the briicks were drying out. The leak is on the inside of the wall actuall ABOVE the window and its leaking in through the plasterboard at the top of the window.its is sealed fine there on the outside where the window meats the bricks.
The bricks are drying out and it looks like the pointing is fine by the window but around the sides and below doesnt look great. anyone shed a bit more light on this ?
picture of gable end below
http://i26.tinypic.com/2z54oav.jpg
thanks
If your gable ends faces the prevailing elements the bricks and joints get saturated in heavy rain and allow water through to the inside of the brickwork. This then runs down and if it hits a lintel or window it will find its way in. By the looks of your photo, I would say the brickwork is getting saturated. Check all the pointing is sound and then apply two coats of a good quality silicone fluid. We have in the past had the inside blockwork out in a property and watched all the rain pouring through the outer leaf brickwork.
ken