re: oil can - Daft question, but ...

Well as it says, this is going to seem a daft question.
Having, at long last, bought myself an oil can (reservoir, spout and pump lever type - is that really the correct description?), I can't seem to get any oil out. The 'bottle' is more than half full, I've tried priming it with oil down the outlet (the flexible spout unscrews) all to no avail. What am I missing, it can't be that hard can it.

yours actually isn't working. Does the pump feel like it might be doing any work, ie getting stiff as it picks up oil?
Try putting the end of the spout in a jar of water, see if any air bubbles come out.
Steve

inlet hole, work the pump, if you finger feels suction you have a blockage on the outlet. If the suction goes away between pumps the one way valve is leaking, could be a bit of swarf on the ball

There is no (noticeable) suction, the 'one way valve' seems to be a ball at the bottom of the pump with a spring inside, that looks to be working and the ball is good and the spring is fairly powerful. Cleared out, and reset as it were, I get one small jet of air on the first pump but nothing further. I wonder if the one-way valve is really inside and the ball is there simply to help keep what oil has already been drawn up. Ah well, thanks for the suggestions.

That would be a one-way valve then...
--

Cheers

Derryck