Rayburn repair

Hi there, I'm hoping for some advice if poss?

I recently bought a lovely Rayburn Royal (having recently got used to using a Rayburn Regent) for £150. I took the firebricks out yesterday to fit replacements and to my dismay found that the side plate under the firebricks has buckled. The plate is on the edge side, not on the oven side (if that makes sense). I cant quite figure out what's happened; part of the plate is cracked, which could explain it, but it also looks like there's an aperture originally cut into the plate - which doesn't make sense?

I'm getting a local welder to have a look at it today, as I'm hoping he can cut part of the damaged plate out and replace it.

However,

- I'm not sure about what appears to be some sort of aperture - is this right? Why is it there, how big was it originally and should I leave an aperture in the new plate?

- There appear to be firebricks behind the plate (which would never normally be exposed) and behind these what looks like rockwool. Some of these bricks have burned through to the wool. I guess I should repair this in some way but suspect I cant buy replacements for these as they are meant to be internal and not exposed. Is there any other material I could use to patch the holed bricks (BTW I can get hold of rockwool no problem)

Hope you can help or point me in the direction of help?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Spencer

fireclay?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Apologies if you've already checked it out, but it does look like you can buy spare parts (side panels) for the Royal online.

Reply to
Rick

Whoops, I didn't realise until I reread it that it was referring to the actual outside cosmetic panels, not the internal one that you obviously have the problem with.

Reply to
Rick