Rattling Radiators

We had our radiators flushed out two years ago after a blockage. Immediately after there was a "tinny" sounding rattle, like a small piece of metal or something, which moved through the system a room at a time (sometimes you could hear it in two adjacent radiators too). It went away for a while but came back after I bled one of the radiators!

Any tips on how to get rid of this. It is pretty irritating. I would have thought there was something like a piece of mesh that could be used to filter it out. I don't know how to do that though, as I have never tried to shut off or disconnect a radiator before.

Many thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Lorenzo

Hi, Lorenzo, we have just had a new gas boiler fitted and the system was given a power flush, and yes, we also have "tinkling" in one or two of our radiators. If you are certain that the noise is coming from the radiator itself, it is a simple enough job to close the inlet and outlet valves, crack open the joints and drain the radiator into a basin (or two) and then remove. If you have a TRV fitted, you should remove the top and use an isolating cap. The other valve will probably be a lockshield regulating valve, count the number of turns to close it, so when you reopen it you can set it back to the same position. Fully disconnect and remove the radiator from the wall (2 people may be needed) take it outside and flush it out using the garden hose. Flush from both connections to try and dislodge the loose oxide from inside. Then reconnect and refill slowly, through the inlet valve, bleeding the air out as you go. Note that the radiator water will be black and can stain carpets, so make sure they are covered!!

Good luck

David

Reply to
David