rafter joint

Hope someone can help with this query. I had a visit from building inspector who tells me I must secure the top of my rafter to a wall plate 100mm x 50mm (which is secured to wall with screws). The roof is a lean to type with apex on a brick wall. He says notch it in with a birds mouth similar to one on lower wallplate. My question is how deep should the birdsmouth plumb cut be? The rafters are now 150mm x 50mm at the inspectors instructions. I was just going to rest the edge of rafter on a "ridge board" screwed to wall,and nail it, but he was not happy with this. Thanks for any help I want to get on while the weather is good. Neil
Neil wrote:

Neil,
The depth of the seat cut should be no more than a third of the depth of the rafter (in your case 50mm) but try and keep them as shallow as possible whilst getting the maximum bearing and then simply 'skew' nail through the side of the rafter into the wallplate to fix them.
As a matter or interest, what are you putting on the roof to warrant 150mm x 50mm rafters - another floor? :-)
Brian G
Thanks Brian, Originally I was using 100mm x 50mm (see previous posting) but the building inspector said increase the size and do without purlins or binders etc!! I have ordered the wood for tomorrow so fingers crossed. Neil

Neil wrote:

Neil,
If your e-mail address is valid, you will find a message there from sir_howey with a detail drawing attached if it's any help.
Brian G
Excellent drawing thanks brian.