Radiators with no thermostat for excess heat

I have just moved into a new house and I noticed that all the radiators are fitted with a thermostat. The heat source is a combi Gas boiler. In my last house with a conventional boiler I had one radiator in the hall which had no thermostat which I understand was for the purpose of safety. Does a combi boiler not need this? Blair