Radiator Valves

Before I go into a plumbers merchant(s) and ask, with the possibility of been laughed out of the shop! Is it possible to buy replacement radiator wheelheads and lockshield covers for radiator valves, (not TRV). I have looked at Screwfix, BES and Toolstation but they don't appear to stock them. I have only ever seen two different shapes to the spindle tops, either square or an oblong shape with rounded ends, mine are the oblong shape, so will any cover with this shape fit? I obviously cannot take my valves with me to the shop to try them! I realise I could buy the valves and use the covers but as I need 10 of each, I would be left with 10 new valves with no heads or covers.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Most valves are supplied with *two* caps - a handwheel and a lockshield cover - so that they can be used for either. This means that 50% of the caps must get thrown away. If you can chat up a friendly plumber who's installing

10 rads, you might persuade him to throw them in your direction.
Reply to
Set Square

No - there are different sizes, alas.

Not sure where you'll find them - but why not take in a sample of your handwheel and lockshield covers and make visual comparison, or even try them on a new valve in shop?

Reply to
Martin

Think it's highly unlikely TBH. In my "useful box" I have quite a few old covers, which I've tried to fit on various radiators where these were lacking, without success. In other words, I think they are brand/model specific.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for the reply, but I cannot take a sample in. It is a house I have just bought and non of the radiators have wheels or locksheilds on them. I never noticed they were missing during my pre purchase visits. I have heard of sellers taking lightbulbs but never radiator wheels!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

That's extraordinary - if you know for certain they (or even some) were there when you viewed, then contact your solicitor.

I agree with Set Square about finding a tame plumber - they do accumulate an awful lot of potentially useful stuff...!

Alternatively a good builders merchant, used to dealing with the trade, could prob help.

The tricky bit may be getting all 10 (or 20) to match - but maybe that isn't so vital.

Out of curiosity, I just googled "spare lockshield" uk and got this

13p each!!

With a further mix of likely words, you may come up with some more options...

Keep us posted...?

Reply to
Martin

Take a plasticine or clay impression with you

Reply to
John

Have a digital camera? I have used the macro function in the past to get a close up of something detailed I may have needed then printed it out and taken it to the shop to show them what I required. If the photo is of a decent quality and sharpness then that would be a good starting point.

Reply to
purple pete